I have to admit I was very sceptical of this trip to Lake Placid. We went for a training camp for Matt for the IronMan. I originally said I would go because I didn't want Matt to have to drive all that way by himself. It was a 9 hour drive but MapQuest said over 10 hours, they don't drive like Matt. He convinces me that he will only be training for about 4-5 hours a day so I think okay I'm in. Then he gets his training schedule and it was Friday check in at 9:30, camp starts at Noon; Saturday 6am with the last thing of they day a lecture at 7:15pm; and Sunday 6am till Noon. So now I'm thinking "Why am I going? I'm going to have to hang out by myself and eat all by myself all weekend, that will be a blast!!" So I spend some time on line trying to find out how I can keep myself entertained for 2 & a half days in this little mountain town. I didn't find much on line just a lot of outdoor stuff, hiking, biking etc. I'm not about to go off into the wooded mountains by myself. I've seen way too many scary movies, I know better. So for I week or so I debated if I should go or not. Finally I decide to be the good wife and go; I really decided if I stayed home I would feel guilty if I didn't get anything done.
I'm so glad I went I had such a good time(by myself)
Friday morning it rained a bit so I hung out in the room and played on the computer (posted my last blog) then I hit the town. There were so many cool little stores with so many cool things. They even have a small outlet mall with Bass, Geoffry Bean, Izod. I got lunch, did some shopping and checked out the area. I met this nice lady at one store and she gave me lots of tips for when we go back in July for IronMan, like the best places to watch from and how to get around town.
Saturday I tried to find Matt a towel in the morning for his swim. He was supposed to take one and didn't and they didn't want them using the hotel towels. I looked all over and never found one. Then I drove out to High Falls Gorge and hiked around there, checked out the waterfall. After that, I went out to Whiteface Mountain and checked out the view. To quote a line from Meg Ryan in French Kiss "Beautiful, wish you were here". The wind was so strong that it almost knocked me over a few times. On my way back, I found this other place that had a cool waterfall with no railings and big cliffs. I got a little nervous there because if I fell in no one was around to know. Later that night Matt took me to a nice restaurant for a fantastic dinner, I had Filet and Alaskan King Crab legs....delicious.
Sunday I shopped some more and when Matt got done for the day we went back out to Whiteface so he could see how amazing it was up there, he of course agreed. Then we hung out for most of the day, watched the sun set on Mirror Lake. We ate dinner at this great Brew Pub that used to be an old church, it reminded us of Clarkston Union.
So that is what I did. Matt was training the whole time and seemed to enjoy it. The people running the camp have won several IronMan competitions so they had lots of experience and advise to share, it was worth the trip.
I'm convinced that we should all take a trip out there together sometime, kids and all, it was such a great place. There is so much to do: fishing, hiking, biking, shopping, golfing and just simply enjoying the beauty of the Adirondack area.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Wow, that is beautiful!
Great pics!
Addie and I would have loved it!
Again, I am so proud of you for blogging. :)
Kim
Great views, awesome pictures!!
YAY to you for going for it by yourself!!
:)
AWESOME pics, girlfriend! Sounds like a great little vaca... I love having time to myself to walk around and check things out. :)
Post a Comment